I chanced upon OpenOut’s page when I was browsing through some information about events in Bangalore – not the run-off-the mill and done-to-death variety. But something unique that connects with what I enjoy doing and sharing information about – Healthy Baking. To add to that, after experiencing so many occassions to share this, I have come to the conclusion that sharing it with a small and deeply engaged set of people, is far better than talking to a wide but only partially interested audience.
So I spoke to Arun, who is the Founder of OpenOut and after some discussions, I knew I was ready to host an OpenOut at home – the broad theme was Healthy Baking, there would be 8-9 individuals who will be a part of it and I will be baking a healthy brunch of 8 dishes inspired from flavours across India.
And what a lovely event it was – to be able to meet new people personally in a world that centers around virtual friendships, to be able to bake for them just as you would for your own family and friends, and to be able to find so many diverse and lively conversations that you still smile about when you recall them! That’s what made this such a special gathering of amazing people 🙂
For those who want to see all the pictures please check them out on the OpenOut FB page
All the pictures shared here are also credited to OpenOut and AJ Photoartist/Ajay Menon.
Below are the dishes and a brief description and I will be sharing the recipe of the first one which is the Malvani Chicken Curry Quiche.
Malvani Chicken Curry Quiche
- Crust Pastry ingredients –
- 2 1/2 cups Wholewheat flour
- 1 cup cold butter cut into cubes
- 2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp homemade Malvani spice mix
- 3-4 tbsp of cold water
Filling Ingredients –
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 cup sliced Onions which have been caramelized
- 2 – 3 tsp of Salt
- 3 tsp of homemade Malvani spice mix
- 2 cups of Chicken that has been boiled, sliced and lightly sauted in a tsp of oil, crushed garlic, 1 tsp of salt , 1 tsp turmeric and 1/2 tsp of the homemade Malvani spice mix.
- 1/4 cup of chopped capsicum
- For the crust- Put the flour in a bowl, Malvani spice mix and add salt and garlic powder.
- Rub the butter cubes slowly into the flour till it resembles bread crumbs. Do not knead it, if you want a flaky pastry !
- Add cold water, 1 tbsp at a time and your dough should come together.
- Place the dough in cling film and put it in the fridge for at least 20 minutes
- Take it out after that and roll it out onto a cling film sheet
- Place it into a tart pan and prick it with fork.
- Blind bake it for 20 minutes at 170 degrees Celsius.
- For the Filling – In a pan, sauté the sliced onions and caramelize them.
- Add the chopped capsicum and precooked chicken turn by turn.
- Take the pre baked tart-shell and line the base with grated cheese, caramelized onions and chicken pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, put the eggs and milk, as well as the seasoning. Mix well.
- Pour this mix into the tart.
- Bake the quiche at 170 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes and serve hot !