You know your patience is being tested for double impact when you are reading the same story about ‘The Faraway Tree’ for the 500th time to your son and your daughter is uncapping a pen and handing it over to you to cap, also for the 500th time as she tries to scribble in a book. And you have passed that test if you can do both , simultaneously, without tearing your hair out.
The good part – you realize that it’s what you inculcated in them ! The desire to grab a book to read or a puzzle to solve , whenever there is a moment. Just like this one time when we had stopped for a break.
So my endeavour has been to make sure that books are their must-haves and go-tos in life. And as a baker my must-have, go-to recipe for a good sponge is this Wholewheat Chocolate Sponge Cake. Do try it out, it makes for a perfect tea-time companion.
- 2 eggs ( approx 100 gms with shell)
- 100 gms cane sugar
- 100 gms unsalted butter
- 100 gms wholewheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 30 gms cocoa powder
- Weigh the eggs. Keep the exact same weight aside for flour, butter, cane sugar.
- Sift the flour with bp.
- For the flour, remove 30g from the weight equal to the weight of the eggs and add 30g of cocoa powder.
- Combine the flour and cocoa.
- Preheat the oven to 170 C. Prepare the baking tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar until creamy and fluffy.
- Add one egg at a time and whisk to this butter-sugar mix. Do not over whisk and only mix gently.
- Add the flour-cocoa mix slowly.
- Transfer batter into baking tin and bake for 25 minutes, at the same temperature or until it is baked.