After a hectic week which has also been physically exhausting, last Thursday was the first day in that week that was relatively relaxed. I did catch up on some emails and messages. And it was also the perfect day for my brother-in-law to be in Bangalore.
Because that gave me the much needed opportunity to bake something that I wanted to send across to my parents and sisters in Gurgaon. So here is one of the delicious Wholewheat Date and Walnut tea cakes that will make their way to them.
But most importantly to my sweet little nephew on Valentine’s Day 🙂 Love has many forms – one of them is healthy bakes and unplanned baking for loved ones always makes you count your blessings in the form of family. And be thankful for their presence in your life.
Recipe – Wholewheat Cane Sugar Date and Walnut Cake
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- ½ cup softened butter
- 2 cups wholewheat flour
- 3 mid sized free range eggs
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup of milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees C.
- Prepare a loaf pan or any other baking tin.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with cane sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat well.
- Shift the wholewheat flour and baking powder.
- Add flour and milk turn by turn, alternately.
- Add chopped dates and walnuts to the batter.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared baking tin.
- Top with some walnuts and dates.
- Bake at 170 degrees C for 30 minutes or until a toothpick or knife inserted into the center comes out clean
You could use applesauce ( 1/4 cup per egg) here as an egg replacer, I have not tried it as yet but there might be some textural changes)