I baked this last week because the weekend that had by got me some delicious greens and what is better than fresh, locally grown food from an urban farm!
It’s amazing how nutritious and fresh food as well as the prospect of a restful vacation by the beach can immediately lift up one’s mood. So in that truly happy frame of mind, the fresh Celery was used in this baked side dish, before we headed out of town.
This Creamy Celery casserole with spring onions and yellow bell pepper has no refined white flour as always and the slightly crisp top along with the very distinct taste of celery make it a very delicious meal in itself!
Do try this interesting combination of flavours – and I guarantee you, you wont be disappointed!
Baked Creamy Celery Casserole
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp wholewheat flour
½ cup milk
1 cup chopped celery
1-2 tbsp chopped spring onions
1-2 tbsp chopped bell pepper
Salt, black pepper – as per taste preference
1 tbsp Parmesan cheese ( optional)
½ finely ground brown bread crumbs
Oil – a few drops to drizzle and saute
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C and prepare an oven-proof baking dish.
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the wholewheat flour and keep stirring. Add the cheese and milk slowly to make a thick sauce. Add the salt and pepper. Switch off and keep it aside.
- Add a few drops of oil in a pan and cook the chopped celery for 2-3 minutes. Add this to the sauce above.
- Then similarly sauté the bell peppers and spring onions again for 2-3 minutes only and then add to the sauce as well.
- Spoon this into the dish.
- Top it with the bread crumbs.
- Drizzle a few drops of oil.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned and bubbling around the sides.