My litte travellers who have been doing road trips since they were 2 -3 months old. True for both 🙂 Just sharing this since I realize that many parents worry about what traveling especially by road entails when one has small children.
Honestly, it’s not easy. But then nothing ever was! At least nothing that’s truly worth it is not easy. But after 7 years of doing it let me share that road trips are full of memories of a lifetime.
There are periods of boredom interspersed with some sibling fights interspersed with happily playing away some invented games interspersed with lazy sleepy moments – you get the drift!
But that’s what I feel are the times they will remember about childhood and perhaps us as parents, when they grow up. The experience of growing up.
And as soon as a we got back from this vacation, I baked a small treat for them for being such troopers during the entire trip despite some glitches that made our return drive back way too long!
The Wholewheat Pineapple Country Sugar Cake
- 1 1/4 cups country sugar ( unrefined)
- 2 cups wholewheat flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs ( use 1/2 cup applesauce instead for the eggless version)
- 1 cup chopped pineapple
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Whisk the sugar and oil well.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat well until frothy.
- Sift the baking powder and flour.
- Add the flour and milk alternately.
- Fold them in gently and do not beat.
- Add the pineapple and fold in gently.
- Prepare a baking pan by greasing it.
- Preheat the oven at 170 degrees C for 10 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 30 minutes at the same temperature.
- Cool and serve.