The baked Arancini ( Italian rice balls) are a big hit at our place as a snack which yet again tastes yum and gives you an opportunity to repurpose left over food – rice. You can use a dipping sauce of your choice – we love our fresh mint chutney 🙂 With a crisp exterior and soft interior they are the ideal pick-me-up snack!
These can easily be made vegan by excluding cheese.
Do try this out to meet those early evening hunger pangs.
Rice Balls and outer crust
- 1 cup of cookied rice ( arborio or any other type which might be leftover)
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp of parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1 cup brown bread crumbs
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- A little milk
- Mix the first 5 ingredients well and allow it to refridgerate for 30 minutes to an hour. If the mixture seems too moist, add 1 tbsp of the bread crumb to it while mixing.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a baking tray and keep it ready.
- Mix the crumbs, sea salt and pepper well.
- Take out the rice and roll it into balls. Use a little milk on your palms to allow this to happen smoothly.
- Then roll the balls into the breadcrumbs mix and then and place them onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes at the same temperature until crispy.