Remember I shared some posts about how as a family we only do desserts on the weekend now for the past 6 months and one low carb dessert per weekend.
But once in 5-6 months I am trying to do something similar to what I used to earlier – healthy flour plus natural unrefined sweetener bakes.
Often as parents we think that kids are ‘picky’ eaters or that they are not going to change their food preference easily. It might be true to some extent. But it is not the kind of impossible situation that we think it will be.
Children adapt better than adults.
They only need three things for us to follow to make those changes –
1. Consistent effort from our end ( so don’t give up even if your child rejects your first healthy bake! )
2. Creative ideas ( so go ahead and put that zucchini in your bake!)
3. Communication ( so talk and talk and talk, about healthy ingredients, what makes it healthy and so on, even when they reach that age of rolling their eyes !)
Given the unusual nature of our situation where my kids had to adapt to eating even healthy bakes with unrefined sweeteners usually once in every 5-6 months, I was a little nervous about how they will accept it.
But like I said – kids need us to follow some simple things and any change becomes smooth sailing. So here is that once in a few months kinda bake.
Gluten-free Oats Almond Cookies With Coconut Sugar
200 gms steel cut oats
50 gms whole almonds
75 gms coconut sugar
75 gms softened butter
1 small inch piece of cinnamon
1 tbsp coconut milk
- Dry roast steel cut oats and cinnamon.
- Grind in mixer into coarse powder
- Dry roast almonds.
- Grind into almond meal, using short spurts, in mixer.
- Mix the two powders above.
- Add coconut sugar and whisk well.
- Add the softened butter to bring together
- If needed add the coconut milk to bring it together.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Take it out, shape into cookies and slightly flatten. Place on baking tray.
- Preheat oven at 160 degrees C, for 10 minutes
- Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes until the sides become crisp.
- Cool fully and store in air tight container.