When the heart needs reassurance, I bake. When the heart needs celebration, I bake. When the heart craves solace and silence, I bake. When the heart craves music and energy, I bake.
It’s a day of that kind. With lots of mixed feelings. And lots of work. And yet as though by some unseen force one gravitates towards the therapeutic effect of baking 🙂
Especially if the result is something like this – presenting the Wholewheat Cane Sugar Brownie Cake. Without baking powder or soda.
1 cup wholewheat flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 free range eggs
1 cup melted unsalted butter
2 cups unrefined cane sugar
2-3 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
- Whisk melted butter and cane sugar together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, and beat until light and fluffy.
- Sift in wholewheat flour, cocoa powder and salt.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Do not over beat or over mix.
- Preheat oven to 165 degrees C.
- Prepare baking tin lined with baking paper.
- Pour the batter into it and bake for 20 minutes.
- Slice only once it cools off.