Bagels are usually extremely high carb, some studies put them at almost double the amount of carbs (unhealthy ones) as compared to even white flour bread.
And pretty much why most folks look skeptical when we say healthy and baking in the same breath. Not their fault. Traditionally most of the baked goods are sugar laden, refined white flour based bakes.
But then old traditions which are not healthy for our body(or mind) need to be turned on their head and new ones need to be created.
That’s how I see #OMBC ( Ovenderful Mom Bakers Community)
We don’t just bake healthy.
We recreate tradition or form new ones that are charting the course of new-age baking – baking that is sustainable and nutrient dense.
Something that’s good for our body, mind and even the environment as we move ahead to explore that space.
Turning the traditional bagel on its head to create this much lower-carb one with almond meal, oat bran and coconut flour. No sweetener.
Recipe – “Almost” Low Carb Bagels
100 gms almonds , roughtly ground into meal
15 gms oat bran
10 gms coconut flour
1 tsp Zaa’tar spice
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp cream cheese
1 tsp bp
- Beat the eggs well and then add cream cheese to it to mix.
- Whisk the almond meal, oat bran and coconut flour together. Add the baking powder.
- Add the spice and salt.
- Slowly incorporate the egg-cream cheese mix into dry mix above.
- A sticky dough will get formed.
- Keep in fridge for an hour
- Wet hands slightly and then shape into bagels and keep on the baking tray
- Brush tops lightly with oil.
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees C for 10 minutes
- Bake for 20 minutes until done, at the same temperature.